Attention

Some of lyrics may harbor NSFW or explicit contents. They are marked with [R] to point out that you are about to view one of such texts.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Ayakashigatari / Kiryu

Kanji & Romaji: hiphopvomit
Translation: myself

Lyrics & music: Sakai Mitsuki

Important note: the `ME` in italics is `atashi` - a pronoun used by females, the regular `ME` is `watashi` - a pronoun used by both genders, and finally the `YOU`  is `anata` - a pronoun mostly used by females to refer to their beloved ones or just formal `you`





妖語 [Ayakashigatari] (Link to a Nico Nico vid; one's obliged to log in there)
The talk of an Ayakashi (1)



Even if I looked back, it wouldn't change the fact that everything was an utmost stupidity
If I savored the nonsense of trusting heart, IT would be eternally lacking its flavor
I was able to observe the smoothly going sail... Not knowing how is it to be smeared in mud
Floating on the warmth of happiness... Not knowing how is it to be sunk in the cooling stagnation

To fool or to be fooled... One of these two reflects the true nature of this transient world

It hurts... It hurts...
A shriek mixed with a creak of bones is being drowned by the prison of flames
Notice... Notice...
The "ME" is right here... What dissolves in tears is the story told by an Ayakashi

Screaming "YOU" who looks at lamenting "ME"
Did "YOU" know who used to wear THAT crooked smiling mask
While going forward with the two [of us]... The one who unraveled my true colors
Was "YOU" who believed that there was no "ME" or "ME"

To fool or to be fooled... One of these two is the reality
"THIS and THAT, everything is a misunderstanding" I realized, it was mincing me from the inside

So dark... So dark...
Overflowing scarlet has taken away... The light and the shade... Everything...
Help me... help me...
Absent-minded "YOU"     Licking lips was the last scenery you showed me

It hurts... It hurts...
A shriek mixed with a creak of bones is being drowned by the prison of flames
Notice... Notice...
The "ME" is right here... What dissolves in tears is the story told by an Ayakashi

Even if I looked back, it wouldn't change the fact that everything was an utmost stupidity
If I savored the nonsense of trusting heart, IT would be eternally lacking flavor
You were a fool, therefore you has been fooled, but it was just an unnoticed pipe dream
Thank you for the meal, not even bones were left    To end without a flavor



Footnotes:


  1. Ayakashi = Japanese folklore demon


Discussion:

<off-top> The truth is that I started translating songs around two years ago, when I was still even more basic in Japanese than I am now and I used to be blind to minor details. Formerly, I translated to my native language, which was probably not so witty of me. (In fact, English is much more accurate in terms of translating from Japanese, and lyrics make much more sense.) Or maybe witty? Who knows. Anyways, I ended up with a shitton of lyrics to retranslate and Ayakashi gatari was one of them. (Maybe it's a great opportunity to correct translations of my stupid and ignorant self). </off-top>

Today I will not be talking about cultural aspects, but about the story itself. I mentioned before the two me used in these lyrics. Keep that in mind. 

You probably noticed who is speaking here - a female, man-eating Ayakashi. Well, our supernatural heroine happens to be a kind of a tragic character, namely she deceived (in her human form) a human-being, who provided her a wonderful relationship, and at the end... She hesitated whether to eat her prey or not. Nevertheless, the guy noticed that something was wrong with his girlfriend and uncovered her true face. Instead of clarifying the situation, our heroine decided to finally devour her victim. Buut... Does she regret her actions as an aftermath? Probably yes. Also, what is IT? It's her life as an Ayakashi.

Do you still remember those two me of our heroine? Watashi is a formal, gender-neutral, first-person pronoun and since it can be used by everybody, Mitsuki apparently decided to use this pronoun as well to indicate the human disguise of our heroine. On the contrary, we have atashi which is exclusively used by women. Here goes the true Ayakashi form. Is it clear? I hope so.

I wonder if it is a metaphor to ourselves. After all, everybody has their true and fabricated nature when it comes to interaction with other people. At least at some point. Am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment