Attention

Some of lyrics may harbor NSFW or explicit contents. They are marked with [R] to point out that you are about to view one of such texts.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Rengoku / Kiryu

Kanji & Romaji: hiphopvomit
Translation: myself

Lyrics: Sakai Mitsuki
Music: Kujou Takemasa





煉獄 [Rengoku]
Purgatory




"I am a puppet* being in great demand"

...Prey of the afterlife (1)... 

"Human body that cannot move is full of grudges"

Now, the long awaited evening of exposition* begins

Licking one's lips in the love of discharging lies...

Smeared in carnal desires

Gleamingly illuminating despair

When one's stabbed, flowers bloom

The red going crazy in agony while scorching this body     If I closed my eyelids, sea of purgatory [could be seen]
Burnt to black scream is crawling and revolving from the inflamed throat     Pouring rain of scorn

Ah...

I have been burnt out in pain     Painted in distorted colors of rainbow

If the ferry to prison is more likely to become the muddy boat, I'd take the one way road...

To die by drowning in vomit and excreta

Disgorge...
Disgorge...
Disgorge...
Disgorge...

Help me... 

Voice that cannot reach [you]

Teasing and playing with     If worn out then put into a scrap cage

Day after day, keeping until death

Tonight, I'll keep screaming as well

Plucked off flower of life

Gleamingly illuminating despair

When one's stabbed, flowers bloom

The red going crazy in agony while scorching this body     If I closed my eyelids, sea of purgatory [could be seen]
Burnt to black scream is crawling and revolving from the inflamed throat     Pouring rain of scorn

The red going crazy in agony while scorching this body     If I closed my heart, sea of purgatory [could be felt]
Burnt to black scream becomes completely wet, yet dries out while desperately trying to breathe     Rain of dried scorn

The red going crazy in agony while disguising in this body     The sea of purgatory engulfs everything

I'm bidding the farewell to myself while uniting the palms of hands     The tiny hope set in fire*, once held in my hands, smoulders ... My dream...

I cannot receive anything anymore...
I cannot give anything anymore...

That ray of purgatory won't guide me....

After all... I'm just a puppet* so I was wrong I could wish for a human life...
Maybe if my wish had become true, I thought I wanted to say only "good bye"...

But for whom...?



Footnotes:

  1. Wordplay: 後生 [goshou] written as 御床 meaning literally honorable sickbed

Words marked with [*] are prefixed by character 御 / お ("honorable" in rough meaning) in original Japanese text. It usually indicates humble language or/and things/people that belong to another person (but not to the speaker)

Discussion:


"Human body that cannot move is full of grudges".
In fact, Japanese people treat the zombie apocalypse more like a grotesque comedy, this sentence is much more deeper than you might think (nope, it's not about zombie). If you aren't familiar with any form of Buddhism at all, let me explain one thing about death in Japan - Japanese buddhist practicioners believe in the endless cycle of death and rebirth and thus, they perform a cremation which is considered a purification rite, so the soul of the deceased can peacefully take their way towards transmigration and start a brand new life. As Buddha himself was cremated and his soul transmigrated. If a cadaver was not buried properly (due to murder, war, death in unknown place, suicide etc.), its soul would wander. Such dead bodies, still holding grudges could transform their malevolent energy into supernatural forces that haunt the world of living.

Again, I noticed here a narration from the afterlife, but in a different context - someone (possibly a girl? Mitsuki used a gender-neutral pronoun - watashi - "I") who unexpectedly and prematurely passes away, but still harbors the strong will to live. They do not want to be purified and do not mind ending up as a wandering, vengeful soul as long as they are able to meet again with their cherished ones. Nonetheless, their body has been cremated in order to purify the soul, hence the title Purgatory.

Also, funny thing to notice that Mitsuki used a word 人形 [ningyou] – puppet, doll where it can be also very literally translated as human-shaped thus it can be a metaphor of a soul/spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment